New vs. Used vs. Refurbished Ultrasound Machines
If you’re in the market for an ultrasound machine, you have three main options– a new, used, or refurbished system. A refurbished ultrasound machine will provide you with the newest features and hardware without the hefty expense.
However, new, used, and refurbished ultrasound machines have pros and cons. In this expert guide, the Strata Imaging team provides you with all the considerations, advantages, and downsides to purchasing a refurbished, used, or new ultrasound system.
So keep reading to learn which is best for you.
New, Used, and Refurbished Ultrasound Machines at a Glance
The table below provides a snapshot of what you can expect when purchasing a refurbished, used, or new ultrasound machine. Scroll past the table for a more in-depth analysis of each option.
|Ultrasound Machine Type||Key Benefits and Features|
|Refurbished||Price: Low cost
Warranty: Varies, 90-days from Strata w/ extended warranty option
Age: Less than one year to many years
Features: Available with the newest features
Software: Available with the most recent software
Hardware: Available with the newest hardware
Usability: Latest ease-of-use features (depending on model)
Lead time: In stock and ready to ship
|Used||Price: Low to Medium Cost
Age: Typically 5+ years old
Features: Available with previous generation’s features
Software: Available with older software versions
Hardware: Available with the previous generation’s hardware
Usability: Modern ease-of-use features are available
Lead time: In stock and ready to ship
|New||Price: High cost
Warranty: Typically 12 months
Age: Brand new
Features: Newest features
Software: Newest software
Hardware: Newest hardware
Usability: Latest ease-of-use features
Lead time: Varies– weeks to months
Refurbished Ultrasound Machines
Refurbished ultrasound machines are pre-owned machines brought back to like-new condition. This usually includes replacing worn-out or failed parts, updating the software, and cleaning it thoroughly.
The main advantage of a refurbished ultrasound is that you can get a great machine at a fraction of the cost of a new system. In addition, since refurbished machines have been previously used, you can usually get your hands on one much faster than if you were to purchase a new system.
However, the main downside of a refurbished ultrasound machine is that you don’t know how it was used or cared for in the past. If you purchase one from an inexperienced refurbisher, there’s also a chance that more repairs or maintenance may be needed down the road.
Thankfully, Strata Imaging only uses highly experienced refurbishing technicians and offers a 90-day guarantee with every unit. Plus, we thoroughly test each machine before it goes out our doors. Our refurbished systems look and feel brand new to almost all our customers.
- Thoroughly tested
- 90-day guarantee
- Lower costs
- Available with the latest features and hardware
- You don’t know the machine’s history
- May require maintenance sooner than a new machine
- Some may not have a “new” finish
How and Where to Buy
If you’re interested in purchasing a used or refurbished ultrasound machine, there are a few critical factors to remember.
First, finding a reputable dealer with experience selling and servicing used machines is important. Strata Imaging meets these criteria – we have over 25 years of experience in the ultrasound industry and are experts in used and refurbished machines.
Second, you’ll want to ensure that your used machine comes with a warranty. This will give you peace of mind in knowing that if something does go wrong, you’re covered. Strata Imaging’s used and refurbished machines come with a 90-day warranty, and you can purchase them off our shelf today.
Finally, you’ll want to ensure the refurbished machine you purchase has been thoroughly tested and serviced. This is important in ensuring you don’t end up with a lemon. Strata Imaging puts all of our used and refurbished machines through a rigorous testing and servicing process before they ever leave our doors.
And in the rare cases that something goes wrong, we have a team of experienced technicians available to help.
Some of our top refurbished models include:
- Philips CX50– A popular portable ultrasound machine for cardiac applications. The CX50 has many leading cardiology features not available on other portable units. These include Live3D (4D) TEE, mitral valve quantification, ICE intracardiac echo, 3D quantification, microvascular imaging, strain quantification, and more.
- Philips Epiq CVx– This cart-based ultrasound machine has many advanced cardiac features and functionality. Along with its high-quality OLED display, the CVx offers many technologies that help cardiologists deliver stellar patient care.
- GE Logiq E9– A best-in-class shared service ultrasound machine featuring many advanced imaging capabilities for OB/GYN, cardiac, urology, vascular, MSK, and more.
Used Ultrasound Machines
A used ultrasound machine is just that– a machine owned and used by another medical practice in the past. Unlike refurbished machines, used machines may not go through any type of reconditioning process.
The main advantage of a used machine is its affordability. However, the main downside is that you have no idea how the machine was used or cared for in the past. There’s also a slightly higher chance that repairs or maintenance will be needed down the road.
If you decide to purchase a used machine, we recommend only doing so from a reputable dealer. This will help ensure that you’re getting a quality machine that has been properly maintained.
- Lower costs
- Can be found with the latest features and hardware
- No guarantee of quality
- Higher chance of needing repairs or maintenance down the road
- May not have all the features you’re looking for
How and Where to Buy
If you’re considering purchasing a used ultrasound machine, we recommend only doing so from a reputable dealer. This will help ensure that you’re getting a quality machine that has been properly maintained.
Some of the top used ultrasound machines available from Strata Imaging include:
- GE Voluson E8– A premium cart-based ultrasound machine for OB/GYN. It is one of the most popular 4D-capable units on the market today. For a newer (and more expensive) version, look at the GE Voluson E10.
- Mindray M7– An advanced portable ultrasound machine with a System On Chip (SOC) design that delivers exceptional penetration, versatility, image quality, and more. Its optimized workflow improves scanning procedures for cardiac, OB/GYN, breast, MSK, vascular, emergency medicine, and many other applications.
- Siemens Acuson S2000– A shared-service ultrasound system specializing in OB/GYN applications. It supports 2D, 3D, and 4D imaging. This affordable model is perfect for clinics with tighter budgets that see a mix of patient types.
Click here to see even more used machines we have in stock.
New Ultrasound Machines
A new ultrasound machine is, quite simply, a machine that has never been owned or used. When you purchase a new machine, you can be sure that it’s in pristine condition and that all the features and hardware are up-to-date.
The main advantage of a new machine is its peace of mind. You won’t have to worry about it breaking down or needing repairs anytime soon. New machines generally have long warranty periods– giving you even more protection.
Plus, you’ll be able to take advantage of the latest ultrasound scanning features and hardware that new machines offer. This includes 3D/4D imaging, elastography, and wireless connectivity.
The main downside of a new machine is its cost. New machines are usually the most expensive option. However, when you purchase from Strata Imaging, you can be sure you’re getting the best possible price. We offer flexible financing options and will work with you to find a payment plan that fits your budget.
Another disadvantage is that some machines may have longer lead times. This means that it could be several months before you receive your machine.
- Pristine condition
- Long warranty periods
- Latest features and hardware
- Most expensive option
- May extra features and hardware you don’t need
- Possibility of long lead times
How and Where to Buy
You can purchase new ultrasound machines from approved distributors, like Strata Imaging. When you purchase a new machine from Strata Imaging, you can be sure you’re getting one of the best ultrasound machines on the market. We offer flexible financing options and will work with you to find a payment plan that fits your budget.
Some of the top new ultrasound machines available from Strata Imaging include:
- Chison SonoTouch 30– This tablet-style ultrasound takes portability to the next level. Attached it to its cart or take it with you on the go. Efficient workflow tools through touch inputs and stylus control keep your scans efficient and accurate.
- Chison Sonobook 9– A slim, portable cardiac ultrasound machine. It has several impressive features– Virtual HD 4D, 4D OB/GYN, IMT, needle visualization, and more.
- Chison Q9– A high-end portable ultrasound machine with shared service compatibility. It features VirtualHD 4D imaging, which is on par with GE’s HDLive 4D feature.
- Chison SonoEye P1– A smart ultrasound probe that pairs with its Android and Apple app. Complete and view scans with any iPhone, iPad, or Android device. It is ideal for fast-paced applications like emergency rooms and diagnostic confirmation.
To see our entire selection of new ultrasound machines, click here.
What to Consider When Purchasing an Ultrasound Machine
There are a few things you should look for when purchasing an ultrasound machine. Here are the top considerations.
Features and Capabilities
First, think about what features and capabilities you need. Do you need a machine that can do 3D/4D imaging? Do you need one with elastography?
Of course, you should ensure that your ultrasound machine has the needed features. Also, consider newer features or features your practice does not use but may in the future if you expand and start seeing a more diverse set of patients.
Second, think about what brand you want. There are many different ultrasound machine manufacturers out there. Some of the top brands include GE, Philips, and Siemens. Getting a replacement GE unit may be easiest if your medical facility uses GE ultrasound machines.
That way, your staff won’t have to learn a new interface. However, it’s worth considering other brands if you’re looking for a high-quality machine or other features.
Next, consider your budget. How much can you afford to spend on an ultrasound machine? If you have a tight budget, you may want to consider a used or refurbished machine. But a new machine may be the best option if you can afford it.
Strata Imaging offers flexible financing options to make it easy for you to get the machine you need. We’ll work with you to find a payment plan that fits your budget.
Finally, think about the primary modality you need. There are several different ultrasound machines, each designed for specific uses. For example, if your practice’s primary function is OB/GYN healthcare, you will likely want an OB-GYN-centric ultrasound machine.
However, you may opt for a shared-service ultrasound machine if you run a general medical practice.
Knowing the primary modality, you need narrow down your choices and make it easier to find the perfect machine for your practice.
Finally, think about your timeline. How soon do you need the machine? If you need it immediately, you may have to purchase a used or refurbished machine. If you can wait a few months, you may be able to purchase a new machine.
Consider these things when considering used, refurbished, and new ultrasound machines from Strata Imaging. We’re here to help you find the perfect machine for your needs– at the best possible price with a 100% guarantee. Contact us today to get started.
When purchasing an ultrasound machine, you should keep a few things in mind: features and capabilities, brand, budget, primary modality, and how quickly you need it.
However, to get the best of both worlds, used and refurbished ultrasound machines from Strata Imaging offer new features, capabilities, and modalities at a fraction of the cost of purchasing a brand-new machine.
If you need help finding the perfect machine for your needs, contact Strata Imaging today. We’re here to help!
Contact for Price Quote
If you are in need of an ultrasound system or C-arm maintenance and repair service, or if you are looking to purchase a unit, allow our knowledgeable customer service and expert repair teams to assist you in developing a solution that fits your requirements.
We know that fast repairs are crucial on down equipment; that is why we strive for a less than 24 repair service.
FDA Certified Products
Factory OEM Specifications
Trust Others From Around The World
Served over 4,000 Ultrasound and C-Arm Clients since 2004